>Sad news on Monday when the Republic nightclub was burnt down by the management, sorry I mean, burned down after an unexpected fire. By accident.
Quite clearly an insurance job but I had grand memories of apparently being there on many, many occasions especially Thursday nights for the legendary Disco 2000. It would be Duncan, James and myself, circa 1997-1998, dancing on at the front, amusing ourselves as Pissed-Up dam fell over the railings (he wasn’t hurt). I spent the last minutes of my 21st Birthday passed out in that beautiful place and bared my arse on a few occasions.
Wonderful days. They truly were. Sheffield was beginning it’s renaissance in the late 90s but the music and pub scene was always at the front of the class. The people are friendly, the kebabs cheap and the supertram was, well the supertram. How many other cities had one? I missed the place and look forward to getting up north later this year.
But there’s always a silver lining. Sorby Hall was pulled down, deliberately and for the cameras but unfortunately with no students in it.
>So the Vatican has produced its own 10 Commandments for drivers. Ludicrous idea of course but here are a list of 10 Commandments I liked from one commenter on The Guardian.
1. Thou shalt not encourage Catholic women to eschew birth control – particularly those who are unable to afford to support more children.
2. Thou shalt apologise for the Vatican’s supine posture during the Second World War and for the subsequent assistance provided for former members of the SS to flee to South America
3. Thou shalt renounce the doctrine of papal infallibility
4. Thou shalt cease denouncing homosexuals as sinful
5. Thou shalt denounce the sanctuary provided for financial criminals such as Archbishop Paul Marcinkus and promise it will never happen again
6. Thou shalt acknowledge that popes in the Middle Ages indulged in simony, homosexuality and licentiousness without trying to excuse their behaviour in any way whatsoever.
7. Thou shalt acknowledge that many popes have been outright warmongers.
8. Thou shalt acknowledge that the Catholic Church has protected paedophiles and commit that any members of the priesthood who are caught doing in this in the future will be offered straight up to the appropriate legal authorities with no excuses or prevarication.
9. Thou shalt abolish the Office of the Holy Inquisition (of which you were once head I believe) and apologise for it’s crimes over many centuries in burning people alive
and finally on a lighter note..
10. You will stop wearing a white dress
Dan – Dagger to the heart, eh. (quicker than a roasted stake)
Full article here
>While there has been some controversy over Salman Rushdie’s elevation to knighthood, for me the highlight has been the revealing of his wife, Palma.
Apparently she is a TV star in the States though she is of Indian descent. How 60 year old Salman Rushdie bagged this young lady is beyond me. Having heard him speak, there was little revelatory about the man. His books including Midnight’s Children and The Satanic Verses live long in the memory for the vivid details and smiling blossoming creativity and the man is clearly of great intelligence, though his subject matter may reveal a wish for greatest. But I still cannot see what drew her in on any ascetic level. The man, let’s face it, looks like a 60 year old failed golfer. His smug grin reinforces my bewilderment.
And some have questioned my own literary ambitions. Well put that in your pipe…… I may have been slow to pick up the pen of late, but I feel an impatient twitch in my fingers of a sudden.
>Has it really been 9 days?? shit. well I guess I have been busy and to a degree underwhelmed with life. Just working, dreaming, hoping. Been to a few gigs for Nathan’s band, Chasing Faces and got back from London late last night. Quality weekend, catching up with Cam and Ellen, Gabriel, Steve, Luke. There are more friends to see next time. too. I am kind of struggling today. Looking forwrad to some kip.
And LP, if you are reading, get ready for a call buddy.
>A Berkeley watchdog organization that tracks military spending said it uncovered a strange U.S. military proposal to create a hormone bomb that could purportedly turn enemy soldiers into homosexuals and make them more interested in sex than fighting.
Pentagon officials on Friday confirmed to CBS 5 that military leaders had considered, and then subsquently rejected, building the so-called “Gay Bomb.”
Difficult to take this story seriously. But it is the US military.
Best night out
“Tonight we will all cry together, then we’ll drink something, then we’ll swap wives and then we’ll cry again” – Mehmet Scholl on celebrating his retirement.
The Herbert Fandel Award for taking German punctuality to absurd new heights
Referee Michael Weiner blew the whistle when poor Miroslav Klose was through on goal against Nürnberg
“We want to be champions, too. We just don’t know in which century” – Thomas von Heesen, Bielefeld manager. He resigned after seven games without a win in February.